Special Order Item
Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery, cancellations or returns subject to 20% restocking fee.
Pack lighter, go further.
Nikon's legendary 500mm super telephoto lens is now nearly 2 pounds lighter than the previous model and ready for the most demanding conditions. With brilliant optical performance, improved AF tracking, a high-speed electromagnetic diaphragm that keeps pace with Nikon's fastest DSLRs plus VR image stabilization, the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR is a game-changer for outdoor, sports, action and nature photographers or anyone looking to get the most out of their current DSLR. The lens comes with a new lightweight hard-shell case.
Sharp and steady
Nikon's superior VR image stabilization
Pros know camera movement during exposure robs sharpness. Nikon's VR image stabilization counteracts camera shake and vibration up to ~4.0 stops*, a must-have feature when working handheld, on a monopod or even a tripod. A specialized Sports Mode is optimized for camera pans and fast-action sports, and the Tripod Mode eliminates the subtle ground vibrations that are constantly passing through a tripod or monopod. Capture subjects with outstanding sharpness, even in low light.
Exceptional burst shooting
Superior AF tracking and exposure control
Track fast moving subjects—even those moving erratically, at random speeds or approaching the camera quickly—with tack-sharp AF precision. During high-speed continuous shooting, the electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism operates in sync with the camera shutter for fast automatic exposure control and consistency between shots, even when using a compatible teleconverter.
Ready for the field
Lightweight, durable and reliable
This is a lens built for tough assignments. A new magnesium alloy lens barrel and fluorite elements reduce the overall weight by nearly 2 pounds versus its predecessor**. The protective front meniscus is coated with Nikon's nonstick fluorine coat, which makes it easier to wipe off water, dirt and smudges. Ball bearings in the tripod collar ring ensure smooth transitions between horizontal and vertical shooting.
**AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
SPORT Vibration Reduction
For pros shooting fast and erratic moving sports subjects, using the SPORT VR mode will give you a more stable viewfinder image, handheld or when using a monopod, even if you’re panning. Track subjects easier when shooting in Continuous mode and as an added benefit with the D4S, the continuous shooting frame rates and release lag time are not affected while using VR. Even use SPORT VR when shooting HD video. The Tripod VR function even eliminates the vibrations that may transfer from the ground to the tripod in both Normal and SPORT VR modes.
- Focal Length: 500mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Format: FX/35mm
- VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization
- Nano Crystal Coat
- AF-S (Silent Wave Motor)
- Approx. Dimensions: 140 x 387.0mm (Diameter x Length), Based on CIPA Standard
- Approx. Weight: 3090g, Based on CIPA Standard
- A/M stands for Auto-Priority Manual Mode. This mode also enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation. However, mode switch sensitivity has been altered to reduce the possibility of sudden unintentional switching to manual focus while shooting.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism – An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers.
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass – An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Fluorite Lens Element – Fluorite (FL), a lightweight mono-crystal optical material, has excellent optical properties while reducing overall lens weight to improve balance and handling, especially useful in longer focal length lenses.
- IF Lens – A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- M/A – Select NIKKOR lenses have a focusing mode which allows switching from automatic to manual focusing with virtually no lag time by simply turning the focusing ring on the lens. This makes it possible to seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the viewfinder.
- Nano Crystal Coat – An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat solves ghost effects caused by red light and effectively reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Silent Wave Motor – AF-S NIKKOR lenses feature Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor, which represents a significant advance in AF lens technology.
- Super Integrated Coating – Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses.
- Vibration Reduction – A Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel.