The STR-A7III is a new form-fitting camera cage direct from Ikan. The frame is shaped to accommodate the Sony a7 III and a7R III camera bodies. The cage comes in three main parts: the top handle, the base, and the camera frame.
The top handle mounts directly to the front of the cage frame. There are 42 1/4-20 mounts on the top handle when it is bare, but the grip can be covered with Ikan grips or, if custom grips are needed, can fit most bicycle handles. A 15mm rod can also be inserted into the end of the handle and held in place with a 1/4-20 screw through one of the many mounts. a cold shoe mount is located at the front of the handle, near where it connects to the frame’s front. There are multiple mounting holes on the front of the frame for positioning the handle to either side to make room for accessories and audio adapters.
The base is simple and sleek, with mounts for two included 15mm rods (2x 200mm rods plus 2x 100mm extensions w/ couplings) and both 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 mounting points for tripod quick release plates. The locking knobs are large and solid and have a kipping function that allows tightening even when the knobs are partially obstructed. The base locks to the frame with an Arca-Swiss style connection, and there are hard stops on either side to allow safe horizontal positioning. This base also has vertically positionable rods that have about 1″ of play to better accommodate matte boxes, follow focuses, and lens supports to many styles of lens. There is a lock and track on the very bottom of the base for lightweight (15mm) dovetail plates, but note that not all dovetail plates conform to the same standard of size or manufacturing tolerances.
The camera frame is shaped specifically to the Sony a7 III-style body, with cutouts on top for button and dial access. Room has been made on the left and right sides of the cage for access to memory card slots, A/V inputs & outputs, and remote port access. There is also a cutout on the bottom of the cage over the battery port, allowing for quick swaps without having to unmount the cage. The cable clamp on the left side of the cage is positionable and universal, and can be used to support cables nearly anywhere on the camera’s left-hand side. Finally, the Arca-Swiss style base connection is also compatible with many types of photo tripod quick-releases, which means that is can be mounted to a photo tripod instead of the tripod quick release plate if it is removed from the base.
- Form-Fitted to the Sony a7 III Series Cameras
- Fits Sony a7 III, and a7R III
- Arca-Swiss Plate Mounts to Cage Base and Many Photo Tripods
- Top Handle Mounts Directly to Cage Front
- Top Handle fits Ikan Grips and Many Bicycle Handles for Custom Grip Mounting
- Top Handle can Accept 15mm Rod to Expand Accessorizing Options
- Cut-Outs for Battery, Memory Card, and A/V Output Access
- Mounts to Tripod Quick Release Plate with 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 Mounts on Base Bottom
- 15mm Rods are Vertically Positionable to Support Multiple Lenses and Accessories
- 1x 1/4-20 Mounting Screw
- 1x Cable Clamp
- 1x Cage Base W/ Vertically Positionable Rods
- 1x Camera Frame For A7 III Series Cameras
- 1x Front-Mounted Elephant Trunk Top Handle
- 2x 100mm Rods W/ Couplings (4")
- 2x 200mm Rods (7-7/8")