All the detail. All the sharpness.
Hone your creative vision with the sharpest, fastest 50mm prime we've ever created. Extraordinary rendering power across the entire frame. Vast f/1.2 maximum aperture. Breakthrough autofocus. Liberating distortion and glare control. Weatherproof build. All empowered by Nikon's revolutionary Z Mount, a system that shines with fast lenses. Dream it, and the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S will do it.
The best. Period.
The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S bears the S-Line designation reserved for premium NIKKOR Z lenses with the most advanced optics, superior performance and finest craftsmanship.
Capture their eyes.
Staring back at you in every photo and video will be clarity, depth and flawless focus. This is a lens designed for maximum impact and image quality. How will it change the way you shoot?
Own the light.
Some of the most difficult—and rewarding—shots involve backlighting. The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S excels in these situations. Anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat (N) and ARNEO (A) coatings virtually eliminate flare, ghosting and coma by suppressing incidental light coming from any direction.
Isolate your subject with crystalline sharpness that gradually falls off into a dreamlike defocus blur. The extremely shallow depth of field of f/1.2 is enhanced by a 9 rounded blade diaphragm, creating an ideal bokeh effect.
Rather than moving one large group of lens elements back and forth, the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S's multi-focus system moves two smaller groups half the distance. And rather than using a single powerful—but noisy and battery-draining—ultrasonic motor, the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S uses two smaller energy efficient STM stepping motors to provide faster, quieter, more precise AF operation—a first for an f/1.2 lens*.
*Among interchangeable lenses for full-frame (Nikon FX-format) digital cameras with interchangeable lenses with a maximum aperture of f/1.2 available as of September 16, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
In addition to being energy efficient, the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S's stepping motors are nearly inaudible. When silence is golden, like shooting stills on a movie or recording video, you can operate without making a sound.
When shooting at f/1.2, the focal plane is impossibly thin, but the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S can handle it. Its AF system locks on and provides fast continuous adjustments to keep your subject in sharp focus.
With two groups of lens elements moving in precise synchronization, the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is able to focus faster, especially at wide aperture settings where the focal plane is very thin.
Eye-Detect AF. As you wish.
Activate your Z camera's Eye-Detect AF mode and prepare to be amazed. The speed and precision of the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S's multi-focus system are put on display as the camera locks on to your subject's eye and tracks it across the frame.
Video gets cinematic.
The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is a video creator's prime. Its exceptional image quality produces stunning 4K footage. Its natural field of view is ideal for interviews, interiors and first-person perspectives. Create beautiful iris transitions across its vast depth of field range with the clickless control ring. As lighting changes, smoothly adjust ISO or exposure to maintain an even shot. Change focus without noticeably affecting the shot's angle of view or causing focus breathing. And because the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S operates in near silence, you can use your Z camera's outstanding autofocus during video recording.
No need to check the forecast.
The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is extensively sealed to keep out dust and moisture, especially around the moving parts of the lens barrel. A little water won't hurt a Z camera or lens, so go out and make the most of that rainy day.
The lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations and under all conditions.
Quick check. Lens info panel.
Quickly confirm focus distance, depth of field and aperture when you're shooting from a tripod or gimbal and can't be behind the camera.
- ARNEO Coat - An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon and used in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghost and flare effects caused by incident light entering the lens vertically. This allows for the outstandingly clear capture of images even when a light source is located within the frame.
- Stepping Motor - NIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocus with reduced wobbling. This quiet drive system makes the lenses ideal for use when shooting video.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism - An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers.
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass - An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Nano Crystal Coat - An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat solves ghost effects caused by red light and effectively reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Aspherical Lens - A lens with a curved, non-spherical surface. Used to reduce aberrations and enable a more compact lens size. Aspherical lenses minimize coma and other types of lens aberrations, even when used at the widest aperture. They are particularly useful in correcting distortion in wide-angle lenses and help contribute to a lighter, more compact design by reducing the number of standard (spherical) elements necessary. Aspherical lens elements correct these distortions by continuously changing the refractive index from the centre of the lens.
- IF Lens - A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- Super Integrated Coating - Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses.
- Maximum Aperture: f/ 1.2
- Format: FX
- Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 89.5mm x 150mm
- Approx. Weight: 1,090 g
*Shipping options may vary depending on product availability, shipment size and shipping destination.